Rudder

1/19/2011
Hours: 3.6
Rudder total: 17.4


My replacement #30 countersink came in so I went back and took care of the steps I had to skip the other day.  Then I got everything dimpled (skins and skeletal pieces).  Then I built a little jig to make it easier to countersink the AEX wedge - which I then did.  Thanks to the many posts about this step on VAF (http://www.vansairforce.com), I saved a huge amount of time, no doubt.  Next is priming and hopefully I'll do a better job this time than I did on the Vertical Stabilizer.

Closeup of some dimpled rudder pieces.

All the dimpled rudder pieces

The simple little jig I built to make countersinking the holes in the AEX wedge a little easier.  For those who care, the AEX wedge is a wedge of metal that brings the two sides of the rudder to a point at the back.  On the jig is a small piece of this wedge mounted so that when I put the long piece on top, I can keep it flush to the drill press.  There is a hole in the wedge to allow the countersink tip to have someplace to go as it presses into the wedge which will be laid above.  The nails are only there to loosely help guide the wedge as I slide it under the drill press.  The position of these nails are not critical.

 The AEX wedge resting on the jig under the drill press.  The countersink cage is visible.  One thing I realized is that I had to constantly check the locking nut on the countersink cage because the continuous motion of the drill caused to to loosen.

   
 
All the rudder - including the freshly countersunk AEX wedge all waiting to be primed.




No comments:

Post a Comment