Vertical Stabilizer - Update

01/03/2011
Hours: 2.0
VS total: 42.9

Bad night for riveting.  Drilling out one of those rivets mentioned yesterday which turned out to be too small resulted in enough damage to the hole that I decided I had to put in a bolt and nut.  Looks really bad.  The other rivet which was too small I'm going to leave as is for now.  In a day or two I may decide to attempt drilling it out and replacing it with a longer rivet - or maybe for the sake of symmetry I'll put a nut and bolt in that one too.  I don't know yet.  It's safe and strong.  I have no doubt about that.  But boy does it look bad.

Also gathering parts together for the rudder.

2 comments:

  1. I wanna know what makes a guy to build an airplane when before he wouldn't change his own oil. Must be something in the water down there. Great project and great of you to get involved Laura. I think they make fatter rivets also. Might be worth looking into.

    mike gefell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike. They do make larger diameter rivets but I reached a size where a bolt just made the most sense. It's a really tight spot and I already drilled it out I think four times.

    You know, I still don't change my own oil. As long as I can get it done at Goodyear for $30.00 it's just cheaper than doing it myself. An airplane on the other hand is a different story. After I get it flying, you can bet I'll be changing my own oil in favor of paying an A&P mechanic $300.00 to do it.

    You know, you should come down for a visit sometime with the whole family for a weekend and give me a hand out in my hanger/workshop/garage.

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete