Horizontal Stabilizer

2/13/2011
Hours: 6.5
HS total: 40.4

I couldn't leave those brackets alone.  I knew I could get them looking better than they were - and in the process, I made the assembly stronger since I had to put #5 (larger) rivets in several of the holes.  Scott and I got the whole horizontal stabilizer match-drilled today.  Then Audra and I disassembled the whole thing (for a six-year-old, she'd not bad with the cleco pliers.)  Finally, I deburred all the holes in the spars.


Scott doing some drilling.

Audra posing for a picture after helping take the horizontal stabilizer assembly apart.

Shop side of brackets after fixing all those bad-looking rivets.

Shop side of other bracket.  Center one and bottom center look a little odd.  I'm guessing it's funny light reflection, but will double-check tomorrow.  I think nothing looks great closeup.

Compared to before, this almost looks like a professional job.  Almost.

Top right was mentioned yesterday.  It's a #5 rivet and I opted to leave it in place rather than drill it out.  If I mess up the hole drilling it out, I have no #6 rivets.  The crease in the rivet head is the result of the rivet gun bouncing (a problem which I fixed by lowering the pressure).  This particular one isn't pretty, but has no rise on the creased part (in other words, nothing can slide under) and the majority of the rivet head is in good shape as can be seen.  In addition, the shop head is well formed on this rivet.  Given that it's larger than called for in the plans and therefore stronger and that the manual says a crease in a rivet head is fine anyway, I feel this is safe and doesn't look that bad given that the majority of the rivets on the bracket have been replaced and themselves look good.
Everything taken apart again.  But where are all the ribs?

There are all the ribs, patiently waiting to be deburred and primed.



No comments:

Post a Comment