Elevators

3/31/2011
Hours: 5.5
Elevators: 74.1

Trailing edges and leading edges are done. I did the trailing edges of the elevators in just about the same manner as I did for the rudder. The only improvement to what I did before was rotating the angle-iron sooner and I propped the elevators up better so that there was no stress on the skins from the angle-iron while hitting the rivets. The trailing edges are as straight as a razor. I'm very pleased about this! No issues at all with rolling the leading edges. It was a little time consuming, but no problems.

The only problem I had tonight was with the aft-most rivets in the tip rips. After the trailing edge was complete, it was time to set three rivets on the top and bottom surface of the elevators. The last one on each surface closest to the trailing edge does not provide enough clearance to set with a squeezer or to get any bucking bar in there. I got one of the four rivets (one on each surface of both elevators) set by the offset back-rivet method. This method was described way back in the elevator days, I believe. As said, I got one set, but it was a real effort. And after an hour or so trying to get the second one set properly, I realized that I just bought a small supply of cherry max rivets for just such an occasion as this. Cherry Max rivets are pop rivets (AKA, blind rivets) but are structural. That means they can be used where you would normally use a solid rivet. The only draw-back to the Cherry Max rivets is that they're expensive at about 80 cents each. You wouldn't want to use them for every one of the 26,000 rivets or so needed to build the RV-10. But using three of them in these very tight spots is just perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment