Tailcone

 
05/28/2011 - 05/30/2011
Hours: 7.2
Tailcone: 83.3
Got the side stiffeners all riveted to the sides along with the bottom stiffeners to the bottom.  Also got the sides riveted to the frames and bulkheads.  I got Scott to help and in about 15 minutes he was able to buck rivets as well as I can do it.  It took me quite a bit longer to learn this art.  In the past, I always did the bucking while he managed the gun, but he wanted to try bucking so, anticipating the future where someone will have to crawl inside the airplane to do the bucking, I figured now was a really good time for Scott to learn how to do it.  Guess who's going to be crawling into tight spots to buck rivets from now on?
One serious issue I ran into while riveting one of the side stiffeners was in four places the bucking bar slipped and dented the stiffener.  (These were areas where I was bucking and riveting by myself before I got Scott to help.)  In three of these cases, the damage was very minor.  But in one, it was a little worse than I'm comfortable with.  I've smoothed all the damaged areas out with the little scotch bright wheel and I'm going to drill out a few inches worth of rivets on either side of the worst damaged spot and put a J-Channel doubler right over the original J-Channel stiffener.  When the EAA Tech. councilor comes by, I'll be sure to point it out to him for a closer inspection, but from my research, I believe this is a very appropriate step to take in order to prevent cracking or buckling in this area when we eventually get this thing flying.

   

Tailcone

5/22/2011
Hours: 2.8
Tailcone: 76.1
The three stiffeners on the left side of the tailcone are now riveted in place.  No pictures since it looks just like it did before except for far fewer clecos on the left side.

Tailcone

5/15/2011 - 5/21/2011
Hours: 6.0
Tailcone: 73.3

Getting it put together with clecos again.  Zach got his hands dirty following the plans and putting things together again, and we're starting to get things riveted together.  Had a little accident and hurt my knee last week, so haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked.  So far, two stiffeners are riveted in place on the right side of the tailcone.


Tailcone

5/8/2011 – 5/12/2011
Hours: 14.7
Tailcone: 67.3
Got all the tailcone dimpled and prepped for priming, then got it primed, then began riviting things together.  My father was here for the past three days and worked with me on all these steps.  In fact just about everyone in the family got involved at one point or another on various jobs.  Dad did most of the priming, half of the dimpling, and about half of the riveting.  It was a real treat to work together on a project like this.  It's too bad he doesn't live closer.

  
  

Tailcone

05/07/2011 – 05/08/2011
Hours: 13.2
Tailcone: 52.6
Finished all the drilling and disassembled the entire tailcone.  Then we got ALL the holes deburred.  Lots and lots of holes.  This task is one step in the plans but took slightly less than 10 hours to complete.  At one point, I got a little tired and got some help from Zach.  After deburring everything, we started dimpling and countersinking.  So far, a bunch of the structural pieces are complete including the longerons and the forward top skin.  Still a bunch of stuff to do before we begin riveting...

Tailcone

04/27/2011 - 05/04/2011
Hours: 13.9
Tailcone: 39.4
I'm no longer updating every day.  Mostly this is because there has been little visible change from day to day.  In the past week or so, we've got most of the tailcone clecoed together.  All the stiffeners are in place and drilled.  The two longerons are clecoed in place (those were those long aluminum angle pieces that needed a 2 degree bend in them).  Several angle parts have been fabricated and positioned.  The skins are clecoed in place and drilled also which makes this project finally begin to look unmistakably like an airplane.  In the process, just about every cleco we own is sticking out of the tailcone.  We just bought an additional 300 which means we own something like 800 or 900 3/32 clecos.  I think we'll probably need even more for the wing kit and the fuse kit.
Most notably, we've had our first passenger.  Well, our first occupant, I should say.  Zachary had the honor of being the first person inside the airplane.


After thinking about the F1010A bracket I re-made from aluminum angle I bought at Home Depot (discussed in a previous post), I decided I better check on that.  Good thing.  It turns out that the aluminul from Home Depot is not of the same strength as the stuff provided in the kit.  I promptly ordered the correct angle aluminum from Van's and made yet another F-1010A bracket.  Note to self, never replace anything in the kit with something purchased from a store without thoroughly checking it out.